Monday, October 29, 2007

SEND NO MORE MONEY TO HAITI




While Haitians in the diaspora have been the main support for their love ones in Haiti, they have also contributed in crippling the country. I am not here to tell you not to take care or help your family; however, we have created a state of welfare in the homeland. As you can see, I use the pronoun "we" because I am not blameless. I have been helping my brothers and sisters back home since I emigrated and my dear mother left us a year after. It has been my job and a monthly bill, or whenever I get the call, to send money. They were very young at the time my dear mother passed away and their so called "dad" left them for another woman. Now that they are older, I refuse to give. Instead, I have defied them. I want them to scan and peruse the country and come up with an idea for something they'd like and capable of doing; I'll provide them with the money to get it started. At first, I was the one trying to come up with an idea, then I told myself: No, you cannot do that; they have to come up with the idea. I know people who are working two jobs just so they can take care of families back home. They pay for rent, food, school, leisure, maintenance of the car, and even the maids and the cell phones. How is this country going to evolve if we maintain it as a state of welfare? Haitians have become apathetic and it will get worse if we don't challenge them to facilitate the situation for themselves. I am serious people. Send your families no more money and challenge them to come with something to help themselves. Let them work their brains.

ATTN: The only idea my brothers and sisters came up with: Send us a pick up truck (machine). I laughed at that one. None of them knows how to drive, yet, every Haitian wants a pick up truck (machine). Vroom! beep beep! Min tet mato yo.

Emael "aka" Vodou Child

No comments: